Student Counselling Service
Meet Gez Sutherland, our Student Counsellor
Gez is available to provide one to one counselling for all students to talk about any issues or concerns you may have. These could include anxiety, depression, addiction, stress, trauma, grief, abuse, relationships, sexuality. Or maybe you’re feeling a bit rubbish and need to unload or struggling to make a decision? Whatever the issue you don’t need to be at crisis point to access the service, it is here to help through face to face and online sessions.
Gez works part-time and flexibly to make things as accessible as possible for students. You can get in touch to arrange a chat by emailing Gez.Sutherland@uhi.ac.uk or calling 07385433460.
What is counselling and how does it work?
Counselling is a talking therapy provided in a safe, confidential, non-judgemental space to talk about any issues or concerns you have. Being able to express and explore your feelings, thoughts and behaviours gives you the opportunity to develop a better understanding of yourself and others.
The aim is to enable you to find your own solutions, whether that is making effective changes in your life or to find ways of coping with your situation.
How long does it last?
Whether meeting face to face or online sessions last for an hour. Initially with a view to meeting 6 times but everyone is individual so you may need less or you may need a few more, this will be discussed as your sessions progress.
Need support on-demand?
Sometimes your mental health can't wait, especially if you're struggling over the weekend. Here are some key contacts:
- NHS 24 offers out of hours medical advice, call 111
- If there is a threat to life call 999 for emergency help immediately
- Text "YM" (if you're under 19) or "SHOUT" to 85258 to contact the Shout Crisis Text Line
- You can call the Samaritans on 116 123 to talk to someone at any time, day or night - or email if you prefer
- Breathing Space helpline is there to listen, call 0800 83 85 87 (Monday-Thursday 6pm to 2am, Friday 6pm-Monday 6am)
- 24/7 support available with Togetherall visit www.togetherall.com
- 24/7 support available with Spectrum.life visit https://uhi.spectrum.life/login?org=uhiwell
- Over 18’s 24/7 online support with https://sidebyside.mind.org.uk