Academic Regulations

Academic Regulations

UHI academic regulations

Specific assessment regulations for Higher Education programmes (HNC, HND, Degree) are contained within the UHI Academic Standards and Quality Regulations and can be found at

Assessment appeals

You cannot appeal the judgement of your assessor in relation to an assessment result. However, you can appeal an assessment if there has been an irregularity in the assessment process. For HE programmes, details of how to appeal are in the UHI regulations, link above. For FE programmes, please see the student assessment appeals procedure.

Mitigating circumstances

It is recognised that there may be times when a student’s circumstances mean that they cannot complete assessments to the best of their ability, or are unable to attend an examination, or are unable to meet an assessment deadline due to adverse circumstances beyond their control. As a result, students can request that these circumstances are taken into consideration.  NHC operates a mitigating circumstances process for all FE and HNC/D level students.  The process for Degree students can be found in the appendices of the UHI Academic Standards and Quality Regulations.

Leaving before your course ends

Please don’t make this decision without first speaking to your Programme Leader and/or the Learner Support Manager. We may be able to help with any problems you may be having or to offer alternative solutions. However, if you do have to leave a course before it has finished, you will need to complete a course withdrawal form and you may have to pay back a portion of your funding. Your chances of getting further funding in the future may also be affected, so please speak to college staff first for advice.