NPA Social Services & Healthcare SCQF 6
This NPA develops knowledge and understanding of the care sector; practical and transferable skills; oral, written and evaluation abilities; problem-solving and planning capabilities; skills for working with others; and organisational and communication skills.
Blended | Friday
Attend timetabled classes at college, your school or online for some of your learning and assessments. Also access online Brightspace or Google Classrooms for self-directed study.
Throughout the course, you will study:
- Social services in Scotland
- Communication in care relationships
- Safeguarding people
- Safe practice and wellbeing in social services
- Human development and social influences
The specific aims of this NPA are to:
- Enable candidates to develop their understanding of the values which underpin work in social service settings.
- Enable candidates to understand how the Health and Social Care Standards and the SSSC Codes of Practice should inform social services practice.
- Enable candidates to develop their understanding of current law, policy, procedures and good practice.
- Enable candidates to begin to integrate values, skills and knowledge through learning and practice experience in adult social services settings.
- Enable candidates to begin to develop skills appropriate for working with individuals who have different needs and who use social services.
- Provide candidates with opportunities to gain and demonstrate skills necessary for safe care.
- Introduce candidates to the body of knowledge that underpins social services practice.
- Enable candidates to be reflective practitioners and evaluate their practice.
- Support candidates in preparing for employment in social services settings, and support those who are already in employment to develop their skills.
Where you can go...
After the one year NPA programme, candidates can continue to the full Foundation Apprenticeship where they will complete the SVQ 2 Social Services and Healthcare and engage with local employers on placement.
The NPA is suitable for learners who have not previously studied aspects of care or healthcare or had practical experience in this sector, as well as those who have already gained some experience. Learners may benefit from previous relevant learning such as National 5 or an equivalent level. Demonstration of experience in this sector will be considered and each application will be considered on a case by case basis supported by a satisfactory interview and reference.
Pupils will undertake PVG check as part of the entry requirements