Physics National 5 Evening
Through learning about physics, you will develop an interest in and understanding of the material world. You will engage in a wide range of investigative tasks, which will allow you to develop important skills to become creative, inventive and enterprising, in a world where the skills and knowledge developed by physics are needed across all sectors of society.
If you are considering a career in engineering, marine or construction sectors this might be for the course for you.
Level SCQF 5
- Online, Thursday evenings 6-9pm
- Optional tutorial 5-6pm
- This course is open to the public
- Attendance on 3 Saturdays is also required
Location Blended Online Learning
Duration 1 Year
There are no internal units for this course.
You will gain an understanding of physics and develop this through a variety of approaches, including practical activities, investigations and problem solving. You will research topics, apply scientific skills and communicate information related to your findings, which develops skills of scientific literacy.
The course content includes the following areas of physics:
- Dynamics In this area, the topics covered are: vectors and scalars; velocity–time graphs; acceleration;
- Newton’s laws; energy; projectile motion.
- Space In this area, the topics covered are: space exploration; cosmology.
- Electricity In this area, the topics covered are: electrical charge carriers; potential difference (voltage);
- Ohm’s law; practical electrical and electronic circuits; electrical power.
- Properties of matter In this area, the topics covered are: specific heat capacity; specific latent heat; gas laws and the kinetic model.
- Waves In this area, the topics covered are: wave parameters and behaviours; electromagnetic spectrum; refraction of light.
- Radiation In this area, the topic covered is nuclear radiation
On successful completion of this course students could follow a number of different paths.
Path 1: Progress on to Higher Physics.
Path 2: Enter a college engineering course.
Path 3: Enter a college construction course.
There are no formal entry requirements.