FA: Social Services & Healthcare SCQF 6
This programme, delivered over one year and incorporates online classroom-based study with work–based learning, in order to prepare you for entry to the workplace or full–time Further or Higher Education. The course is funded by Skills Development Scotland.
The Foundation Apprenticeship (FA) in Social Services and Healthcare is for pupils in S5 and S6. Pupils complete a National Progression Award (NPA) at SCQF level 6 in Social Services and Healthcare then progress onto complete the mandatory units from the SVQ 2 Social Services Health and Social Care and engage in work placement experience.
Blended | Friday
Attend timetabled classes at college, your school or online for some of your learning and assessments. Also access online Brightspace or Google Classrooms for self-directed study.
Throughout the course, you will study:
- NPA Social Services in Scotland
- NPA Safeguarding People
- NPA Communication in Care Relationships
- NPA Safe Practice and Wellbeing in Social Services
- NPA Human Development and Social Influences
- Mandatory Units - SVQ 2 Social Services and Healthcare
- Engage in workplace experience
The specific aims of this NPA are to:
- Enable candidates to develop their understanding of the values which underpin work in social service settings.
- Enable candidates to understand how the National Care Standards and the SSSC Codes of Practice should inform social services practice.
- Enable candidates to develop their understanding of current law, policy, procedures and good practice.
- Enable candidates to begin to integrate values, skills and knowledge through learning and practice experience in adult social services settings.
- Enable candidates to begin to develop skills appropriate for working with individuals who have different needs and who use social services.
- Provide candidates with opportunities to gain and demonstrate skills necessary for safe care.
- Introduce candidates to the body of knowledge that underpins social services practice.
- Enable candidates to be reflective practitioners and evaluate their practice.
- Support candidates in preparing for employment in social services settings, and support those who are already in employment to develop their skills.
Where you can go...
You can progress onto the HNC Social Services or HNC Childhood Practice.
The FA is suitable for learners who have not previously studied aspects of health or social care or had practical experience in this sector, as well as those who have already gained some experience. Learners should have 3 passes at National 5 level ideally in a literary subject. Demonstration of experience in this sector will be considered and each application will be considered on a case by case basis supported by a satisfactory interview and reference. Pupils will undertake PVG check as part of the entry requirements.