Social Services and Healthcare (Children and Young People) SVQ3
What is special about this course?
This award meets registration requirements for Scottish Social Services Council for Children & Young Peoples Care Workers. The SVQ in Social Services and Healthcare (Children and Young People) helps to develop skills and knowledge already gained in a childcare setting.
This SVQ 3 in Social Services and Healthcare (Children and Young People) is work-based and has a structured, but flexible, delivery. Students are assessed in the workplace to allow you to demonstrate your competence.
- Suitable employment full or part-time, voluntary or paid, in children’s residential care settings or children’s educational setting
- You should ideally hold an SVQ 2 qualification or equivalent
- Work in a childcare setting at a supervisory level for a minimum of 3 months
- Demonstrate an ability to write at SCQF level 5 or above with appropriate literacy skills
You will be assessed in the workplace and will be allocated an assessor who will mentor you and assist you to prepare your portfolio of evidence. Drop in sessions in Alness and Thurso are also available to help you gather evidence and prepare your portfolio. You are strongly encouraged to attend these.
How will I study my course?
- Part Time
- Work based
This is a work based qualification and students will be assigned an assessor from our Thurso or Alness campus.
How long will my course last?
Students on this course should expect to study for 12 months.
Where can I study my course?
- Work Based
This course intakes in September and March each year.
For the latest information on fees please see our fees policy.
- Students should apply for funding through the Student Awards Agency for Scotland: http://www.saas.gov.uk/
- The College has a limited number of Modern Apprenticeships available for this award
What can I do on completion of my course?
This award meets registration requirements for Scottish Social Services Council for senior children and young people care workers.
On successful completion of level 3, in addition to your enhanced employment opportunities, you may be able to move on to:
- HNC Childhood Practice
- HNC Social Services
- BA Hons Child and Youth Studies
- BA Hons Health and Social Studies
- PDA Care Services' Management
- PDA Health & Social Care Administration of Medicine
- PDA Health and Social Care Supervision
- CPD Leading and Managing in Care Services
Is there more information available online?
You can use the above QR code to connect directly to the course details.
Apply for Social Services and Healthcare (Children and Young People) SVQ3
We are delighted that you are thinking about studying at North Highland College UHI. North Highland College operates a fair and open admissions system committed to equality of opportunity and non-discrimination. We consider all applications on merit and on the basis of ability to achieve, without discrimination on grounds of age, disability, gender identity, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity status, race, religion and/or belief, sex, sexual orientation or socio-economic background. We welcome applications from all prospective students and aim to provide appropriate and efficient services to students with disabilities.