What is special about this course?
This SVQ Level 2 Professional Cookery course is based at the House of Morven, part of the main campus in Thurso which is also home of Flagstones, our training restaurant. It is also based at the North Highland College UHI's Burghfield House campus in Dornoch.
Added to the practical skills you already have, you will learn more about food production and presentation. Full-time students may have the benefit of a work placement to provide practical experience.
You will learn the basics of professional cookery while working with experienced chefs.
- Two National 5 qualifications and Three National 4s
- Applicants who are successful on SVQ Level 1 Food Preparation and Cooking will be considered
- Work experience in a kitchen will be an advantage
- Maintain food safety in a kitchen environment
- Maintain health and safety in Hospitality
- Prepare, cook and finish basic meat dishes
- Prepare, cook and finish basic hot sauces
- Prepare, cook and finish basic fish dishes
- Prepare, cook and finish basic pastry products
- Prepare, cook and finish basic poultry dishes
- Prepare, cook and finish vegetables
- Prepare, cook and finish basic soups
- Prepare, cook and finish desserts
- Prepare, cook and finish basic cakes, sponges, biscuits and scones
- Work effectively as part of a Hospitality team
- Maintain and handle knives
- Set up and close the kitchen
Students have the opportunity to assist at events throughout the year which include the Young Highland Chef of the Year Competition and celebration dinner, run in conjunction with the Roux Consultancy. The competition and event are supported by many local employers and is judged by top chefs from across the UK.
Students will learn alongside chefs in preparing the Cafe at Morven - the College's main refectory in Thurso or The Stokehole Restaurant at the Burghfield House in Dornoch.
How will I study my course?
- Full Time
- Part Time
- Day release
Full time students may have an opportunity of a work placement.
How long will my course last?
1 year full-time, longer part-time.
Where can I study my course?
September - June
For the latest information on fees please see our fees policy.
Is there more information available online?
You can use the above QR code to connect directly to the course details.