SVQ Social Services and Healthcare SCQF Level 7
What is special about this course?
This award meets registration requirements for Scottish Social Services Council for Care Workers. The SVQ in Social Services and Healthcare (Adults) helps to develop skills and knowledge already gained in a Care setting.
This SVQ 3 in Social Services and Healthcare (Adults) is work-based and has a structured, but flexible, delivery. Students are assessed in the workplace to allow you to demonstrate your competence.
- Suitable employment full or part-time, voluntary or paid, in social services and healthcare at a supervisory/managerial level
- Demonstrate an ability to write at SCQF level 5 or above with appropriate literacy skills
- You should hold the SVQ Level 2 qualification or equivalent and work at supervisory level for a minimum of 3 months
You will be assessed in the workplace and will be allocated an assessor who will mentor you and assist you to prepare your portfolio of evidence. Drop-in sessions in Alness and Thurso are also available to help you gather evidence and prepare your portfolio. You are strongly encouraged to attend these.
The SVQ Social Services and Healthcare at SCQF level 7 consists of 4 mandatory Units and 4 optional Units.
The mandatory units are:
- Promote effective communication
- Promote health, safety and security in the work setting
- Develop your practice through reflection and learning
- Promote the safeguarding of Individuals
How will I study my course?
- Part Time
- Work based
You will be supported in the workplace and at your weekly drop-in session, by a local assessor who will mentor and assist you in preparing your portfolio of evidence.
Drop-in sessions are available one day per week at our Thurso and Alness campuses and you will be strongly encouraged to attend.
How long will my course last?12 Months
Where can I study my course?
- Work Based
Please note, UHI North Highland will be changing its name to UHI North, West and Hebrides in August 2023, subject to Scottish Government approval. This will not impact on your choice of course or how and where you will study.
Intakes in September and February each year
For the latest information on fees please see our Tuition Fees information.
- Students should apply for funding through the Student Awards Agency for Scotland: http://www.saas.gov.uk
- The College has a limited number of Modern Apprenticeships available for this award
What can I do on completion of my course?
This award meets the registration requirements for Scottish Social Services Council for senior social care workers.
On successful completion of the level 3 and in addition to enhanced employment opportunities, you may be able to move on to:
- HNC Social Services
- BA (Hons) Child and Youth Studies
- BA (Hons) Health Social Studies
- PDA Care Services' Management
- PDA Health & Social Care: Administration of Medicine
- PDA Health and Social Care Supervision
- CPD Leading and Managing Care Services
- PDA Promoting Excellence in Dementia Skilled Practice
Is there more information available online?
You can use the above QR code to connect directly to the course details.
Apply for SVQ Social Services and Healthcare SCQF Level 7
We are delighted that you are thinking about studying at UHI North Highland. Please note, UHI North Highland will be changing its name to UHI North, West and Hebrides in August 2023, subject to Scottish Government approval. This will not impact on your choice of course or how and where you will study. UHI North Highland operates a fair and open admissions system committed to equality of opportunity and non-discrimination. We consider all applications on merit and on the basis of ability to achieve, without discrimination on grounds of age, disability, gender identity, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity status, race, religion and/or belief, sex, sexual orientation or socio-economic background. We welcome applications from all prospective students and aim to provide appropriate and efficient services to students with disabilities.