Social Services Children & Young People (Previously NC Early Education and Childcare) NQ
What is special about this course?
This course is the first level at which a childcare worker can register with the Scottish Social Services Council (SSSC). Learners will gain knowledge, understanding, skills and attributes that will help them to contribute to the development of children in personal and professional contexts.
The main purpose of the course is for learners to understand early education and child development from pre-birth to age 18 and the roles and responsibilities of practitioners, other professionals and parents/carers in contributing to the development of children and young people. Learners will gain knowledge, understanding, skills and attributes that will help them to contribute to the development of children in personal and professional contexts. Learners will undertake childcare placements.
- Minimum of five National 5 qualifications at C or above, including one literary subject e.g. English, History, Geography, Psychology or Care
- Satisfactory interview
- Relevant post school education and training
- Satisfactory interview
- NC Child, Health and Social Care group award plus two National 5 awards
- OR SVQ Level 2 in Social Services and Healthcare, or equivalent
- Child development: supporting children's behaviour, supporting language, literacy and numeracy
- Higher in Childcare and Development
- NPA Social Services (Children and Young People)
- Play in early education and Childcare
- Developing an understanding of working with children
- Work placement to develop vocational and employability skills
- You will also develop core skills in IT, numeracy and communications
- As well as the subject specific units, you will have the opportunity to complete a Higher and an NPA qualification
How will I study my course?
- Full Time
- Part Time
How long will my course last?
One academic year full time, longer part-time
Where can I study my course?
September and January
For the latest information on fees please see our fees policy.
What can I do on completion of my course?
- HNC Childhood Practice
- SVQ Social Services and Healthcare (Children & Young People)
- Enhanced career opportunities or progression onto other relevant courses including BA(Hons) Health Studies, BA(Hons) Child and Youth Studies, BSc (Hons) Psychology, BSc (Hons) Sport and Fitness
Is there more information available online?
You can use the above QR code to connect directly to the course details.
Apply for Social Services Children & Young People (Previously NC Early Education and Childcare) NQ
We are delighted that you are thinking about studying at North Highland College UHI. North Highland College operates a fair and open admissions system committed to equality of opportunity and non-discrimination. We consider all applications on merit and on the basis of ability to achieve, without discrimination on grounds of age, disability, gender identity, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity status, race, religion and/or belief, sex, sexual orientation or socio-economic background. We welcome applications from all prospective students and aim to provide appropriate and efficient services to students with disabilities.
Apply online to study this course in: