What is special about this course?
This City and Guilds Level 2 Diploma (SCQF Level 5) qualification suits those who have a desire to work with animals and want to train to provide care to animals in a veterinary care environment under the direction and supervision of a veterinary surgeon. It is designed to provide practical competence and knowledge for the role of veterinary care assistant. This course is a combination of college-based study where you will study in our state of the art practical training suites at our Rural Studies Centre in Halkirk with expert tuition from our experienced RVNs and Veterinary Surgeons.
This Level 2 qualification is designed for those keen to work in a career where they are providing care to animals in a veterinary care environment, under the direction and supervision of Veterinary staff.
- Applicants should be at least 16 years of age, with a reasonably high standard of physical
• A proven interest in a veterinary environment and evidence of recent experience working
or volunteering in this environment
• Evidence of communication/English, IT and numeracy skills at SCQF Level 4. (A stand alone
core skill qualification in these at level 4 is not a suitable entry qualification). Other relevant
qualifications at level 4 or above, may also be considered
• Satisfactory interview
• A firm offer of a practice placement or evidence of actively seeking a practice placement
Mature students or adult returners will be considered for entry on an individual basis and are
encouraged to apply
- Principles and practices of animal handling and care in the veterinary environment
- Principles and practices of assisting with care in the veterinary environment
- Principles and practices of administrative duties in the veterinary environment
- Development of IT, maths/numeracy and communication/literacy skills
How will I study my course?
- Full Time
- Work based
Placement and classroom based.
How long will my course last?
7 weeks attending North Highland College UHI
21 weeks in practice placement
Where can I study my course?
- Work Based
- Employers Premises
For the latest information on fees please see our fees policy.
What can I do on completion of my course?
Students may progress onto the City & Guilds Level 3 Diploma Veterinary Care Assistant (successful completion of this qualification means you can become registered as a qualified
Is there more information available online?
You can use the above QR code to connect directly to the course details.