What is special about this course?
The course is a locally designed programme programme which has been specifically designed both to aid progression on to the HNC Computing award and to prepare students for employment in helpdesk or junior IT posts.
Special elements of this course include the opportunity to achieve the SQA Higher Computing Science group award and a National Progression Award in Digital Passport.
All students will have the opportunity to secure a work placement with an employer, wherever possible in the Computing & IT sector, during the study of this course.
- Four National 4 (or equivalent) qualifications with at least one in a relevant subject and one in literacy and/or numeracy
- Satisfactory reference and interview
- Demonstration of possession of relevant work experience
- Satisfactory reference
- Perform satisfactorily at interview
- Complete short assessment demonstrating numerical and literacy ability
- Personal Empowerment Programme
- Access programmes at SCQF level 4
Mandatory units include:
- Computer Hardware and Systems
- Digital Media Elements for Applications
- Applications Development
- Information Literacy (Automatic certification of full ICT L5)
- Network Literacy
- Social Media Literacy
- PC Passport: IT Software – Spreadsheet and Database
- PC Passport: IT Software - Word Processing and Presenting Information (Automatic certification of full ICT L5)
- Work Experience
- Essential Skills Development
- Software Design and Development
- Course Assessment (Exam and Assignment)
How will I study my course?
- Full Time
- Part Time
How long will my course last?
1 Academic Years
Longer part time
Where can I study my course?
For the latest information on fees please see our fees policy.
What can I do on completion of my course?
- On successful completion of their programme with the achievement of Higher Computing Science students may progress to HNC Computer Science
- The course prepares students for entry into 1st line helpdesk support or IT junior posts
Is there more information available online?
You can use the above QR code to connect directly to the course details.