Built Environment NC
What is special about this course?
This course aims to introduce the skills and knowledge required to follow a professional career path within the building industry at technician level. Mainly taught within a classroom environment, practical experience is gained from site visits, field trips and workshops.
- This course is the ideal stepping-stone into a variety of HNC Construction courses
- If you are already working in the industry, you can study by evening classes
- Apply to study full time
- Progression on from EPIC (Employability Programme into Construction) or PDA Carpentry and Joinery
Progression from Employability Programme into Construction
• Three National 5 Qualifications in Mathematics, English, Science, or an Appropriate Technical Subject.
• SQA Skills for Work National 5 Construction would be advantageous
• Satisfactory Interview
Mature Returning Students
• Three National 5 Qualifications (or equivalent), in Mathematics, English, Science, or an Appropriate Technical Subject.
• Competent knowledge of the Industry detailed in CV of site experience.
• Satisfactory Interview.
Anyone who fails to hold Maths at this level would be required to undertake National 5 maths prior to undertaking this qualification.
(Interview process for all candidates to be scored against qualifications, experience and knowledge, score sheet to be create
- Domestic Building Services
- Construction Technology: Groundworks and Substructure
- Construction Technology: Superstructure and Finishes
- Computer Aided Drafting: An Introduction
- Construction Calculations
- Construction Materials: An Introduction
- Construction Site Surveying: An Introduction
- Health and Safety in the Construction Industry
- Built Environment Project
- Sustainable Design for Architecture
- Construction Measurement and Costing
- Drawing for Construction
How will I study my course?
- Full Time
- Part Time
How long will my course last?s
Full-time: 1 Year – 34 Weeks
Part-time: 2 years
Where can I study my course?
For the latest information on fees please see our Tuition Fees information.
What can I do on completion of my course?
Completion of the NC in Built Environment may provide progression opportunities to:
• an HNC/HND in a Built Environment discipline
• HNC/HND Architectural Technology
• HNC/HND Building Surveying
• HNC/HND Construction Management
• HNC/HND Quantity Surveying Course
• degree level study at a higher education institution
• employment in the construction sector, perhaps as an Architectural Technologist
Once in employment, many continue to study within a Modern Apprenticeship Framework.
Is there more information available online?
You can use the above QR code to connect directly to the course details.
Apply for Built Environment NC
We are delighted that you are thinking about studying at UHI North Highland. UHI North Highland operates a fair and open admissions system committed to equality of opportunity and non-discrimination. We consider all applications on merit and on the basis of ability to achieve, without discrimination on grounds of age, disability, gender identity, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity status, race, religion and/or belief, sex, sexual orientation or socio-economic background. We welcome applications from all prospective students and aim to provide appropriate and efficient services to students with disabilities.