What is special about this course?
Are you interested in developing your general engineering knowledge and skills? If so, this new MSc Engineering* will help you progress to the next level of engineering education and help towards attainment of professional registration as a Chartered Engineer: the course is designed to fulfil the further learning component of CEng professional registration.
The course will develop your understanding of the roles of research, design, analysis and optimisation in advanced engineering careers. You will gain the knowledge and understanding to apply existing and emerging technology and gain the appropriate theoretical and practical methods to design, develop, manufacture, construct, commission, operate and maintain engineering products, processes, systems and services.
Specialist modules in a variety of multi-disciplinary engineering topics from mechanical, electrical and civil engineering may be selected based on your own interests.
*subject to validation
- The course is delivered fully online, allowing you the flexibility to fit your studies around your personal and professional commitments.
- Provides all-round general engineering knowledge and understanding to prepare you to apply existing and emerging technology.
- You will develop your ability to demonstrate effective graduate skills and a personal commitment to professional standards, recognising obligations to society, the profession and the environment.
- Opportunity to study individual modules for personal or professional development, or work towards a PgCert, PgDip, or full masters degree.
- BEng (Hons) in Engineering with a minimum award of 2.2 (or equivalent)
- Recognition of Prior Experiential Learning (RPEL) to the appropriate degree level will also be considered and will be assessed on an individual basis
Direct progression from our own degrees:
You will study three core modules which may include:
- Design optimisation
- Design process and engineering project management
- Quantitative research methods and data analysis
You will choose three option modules which may include:
- Advanced applications in engineering
- Advanced ground engineering
- Advanced electrical engineering
- Advanced electronics
- Advanced energy engineering
- Advanced engineering maths and modelling
- Advanced mechanical engineering
- Advanced structures and materials
- Artificial neural networks and evolutionary algorithms
- Autonomous systems
- Logistics and supply-chain management
- Renewable energy technologies
- Safety case studies
- Tidal, wave and future energy
- Urban drainage and environmental hydrology
To achieve the award of MSc you must successfully complete a research project/dissertation. This may be coordinated and conducted in conjunction with your employer in an area of specialisation within the field of mechanical, electrical or civil engineering.
How will I study my course?
- You will study through supported online learning using the university's virtual learning environment (VLE)
- Part-time (structured)
- Part-time (unstructured)
We aim to provide a supportive and positive environment that will encourage you to take the initiative to learn and develop critical thinking skills. All materials are accessible online allowing you to fit your studies around your personal and professional commitments.
How long will my course last?
- Full-time: 18 months: MSc
- Part-time: 3 years: MSc
Where can I study my course?
This is a fully online course. You will enrol at, and be supported by, North Highland College UHI.
Fees for this postgraduate programme will be announced in January 2019. Please check this page for updates.
External scholarships and financial support may be available. Contact the relevant UHI partner college for more information.
What can I do on completion of my course?
On successful completion, you will have acquired the general engineering knowledge, understanding and skills along with your own tailored specialist interests, that are relevant to employment within the engineering industry. You will also have developed essential employability skills enhancing your opportunities for relevant careers in the industries such as:
- Aerospace engineer
- Automotive engineer
- Civil engineer
- Controls engineer
- Design engineer
- Electrical engineer
- Energy engineer
- Engineering project manager
- Manufacturing engineer
- Power engineer
- Systems engineer
Is there more information available online?
You can use the above QR code to connect directly to the course details.