MA SVQ 3 Hospitality Supervision & Leadership
What is special about this course?
In this course you will learn on the job, all the information required to make sure you can confidently and successfully supervise and a lead a team.
The course delves behind the scenes into the running of a successful department and will expand your current knowledge of your business.
You will carry out your current job supervising your team, gaining experience and gathering evidence per shift. Evidence will be in the form of personal statements, witness testimonies, photographs and videos.
Dates will be set with your assessor as to when they can come to assess you carrying out specific tasks.
This Modern Apprenticeship initiative offers people the chance to work towards achieving an SVQ in Hospitality Supervision and Leadership at SCQF 7. The programme is a combination of work-based and college training and provides the dual benefit of students gaining a nationally recognised qualification while being paid as they work.
This Modern Apprenticeship consists of an SVQ, Core Skills and Enhancements.
- Debt free learning
- Nationally recognised qualifications
- Career progression opportunities
- Cost effective training supported by funding from Skills Development Scotland (up to 100% funding depending on age and eligibility criteria)
- Develop up to date and relevant skills and qualifications
Candidates should be employed in a supervisory role within the business.
Potential MA Hospitality Supervision and Leadership (SCQF L7) candidates should hold a qualification in
• Communication/English at SCQF Level 5
• Numeracy at SCQF Level 4
• ICT at SCQF Level 4
Or equivalent qualifications
be able to demonstrate an interest and desire to work in, and have experience of working in, the field of Hospitality Supervision and Leadership.
Candidates without evidence of achievement of formal academic qualifications as above will be asked to undertake a short ‘profile’ document to demonstrate ability of core skills at these levels.
This Modern Apprenticeship framework is developed by the sector skills council, People 1st, in consultation with employers and key partners in the industry. The course can be tailored towards the specific needs of the employer but will typically contain core skills and industry specific units. These include:
Four mandatory units;
- Provide leadership for your team
- Develop productive working relationships with colleagues
- Contribute to the control of resources
- Maintain the health, hygiene, safety and security of the working environment
Four Optional Units which will be chosen alongside your assessor to ensure they fit the criteria of your business.
Candidates are required to achieve the following core skills:
• Communication SCQF Level 6
• Working with Others SCQF Level 6
• Problem Solving SCQF Level 6
• Information and Communication Technology SCQF Level 5
• Numeracy SCQF Level 5
(Candidates who have already been certificated as achieving Core Skills at the levels given above do not need to repeat these Core Skills as part of the Modern Apprenticeship Framework.)
This modern apprenticeship requires two enhancements which should be achieved during or prior to the induction period of the apprenticeship to ensure the apprentice is fully informed of the regulations.
- Health & Safety at Work Certificate (all routes) This should be achieved within the first 12 weeks of the Apprenticeship or no longer than 2 years prior to the start of the apprenticeship.
- Scottish Certificate for Personal Licence Holders (this is required by anyone working in a job role that involves selling or serving alcohol or supervises others selling or serving alcohol). This should be achieved before the first 12 weeks of the Apprenticeship
All of our Modern Apprenticeships are a blended delivery, the majority of the apprentices' time will be spent within the workplace however they may be required to attend college as part of their apprenticeship programme which will be agreed between the assessor and employer.
How will I study my course?
- Part Time
- Work based
How long will my course last?
Where can I study my course?
- Work Based
For the latest information on fees please see our fees policy.
What can I do on completion of my course?
Participants may enter into the wide range of full and part time provision offered by the college or continue with employment goals. Courses considered may include BA Events Management or BA Hospitality Management.
Is there more information available online?
You can use the above QR code to connect directly to the course details.
Apply for MA SVQ 3 Hospitality Supervision & Leadership
We are delighted that you are thinking about studying at North Highland College UHI. North Highland College operates a fair and open admissions system committed to equality of opportunity and non-discrimination. We consider all applications on merit and on the basis of ability to achieve, without discrimination on grounds of age, disability, gender identity, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity status, race, religion and/or belief, sex, sexual orientation or socio-economic background. We welcome applications from all prospective students and aim to provide appropriate and efficient services to students with disabilities.