What is special about this course?
If you are a manager in a care setting this Continuing Professional Development (CPD) award can help you in your career development. It is designed to meet the registration requirements set by the Scottish Social Services Council (SSSC) for managers.
The PDA Leading and Managing Care Services is particularly suited to staff who already hold an approved care qualification. The award can be completed within 12 months and a student adviser will provide ongoing support throughout your studies.
The programme includes a mandatory induction and tutorials which are highly recommended.
Candidates need to have had good experience in the care sector. Ideally, candidates should be working in a supervisory or management position.
- The programme is delivered online so you can fit your study round your personal and professional commitments.
- Online discussion boards allow interactiion with fellow students and tutors
- Induction and tutorials can be done face-to-face at a local venue (depending on numbers), or by video conference
- Course materials and assignments are designed to relate to a wide range of care service settings, with students encouraged to reflect on and develop their management skills.
Candidates need to demonstrate their potential to meet the academic demands of a SCQF Level 9 award. Ideally, candidates should be working in a supervisory or management position.
Relevant qualifications include HNC Social Care, SVQ4, Diploma in Social Work, nursing qualifications or equivalent.
Candidates need to have had a good working experience in the care sector. Some assessment tasks require students to relate to personal experience of supervisory / management practice.
Students need to have access to a computer with the ability to develop skills in online learning, accessing website material and word-processing of assignments.
UHI CPD Award
- Leadership and Management in a Care Context.
- Leading and Managing Effective Communication Systems.
- Managing Protection, Risk and Promotion of Care Values.
How will I study my course?
Part Time (Unstructured)
Online, with optional face to face or video conference tutorials
How long will my course last?
- Part Time (one year)
For the latest information on fees please see our fees policy.
External scholarships and financial support may be available. Contact the relevant university partner college for more information.
What can I do on completion of my course?
The programme provides a management qualification accepted by the SSSC as meeting the requirements for registation as a manager of a care setting. This qualification is essential for anyone working as a manager of a care service, so possession of the award is highly attractive to employers.
Can I progress into further study?
The possibility of progression to achieve a degree may prove attractive to students who already hold care qualifications at diploma level.
Following successful completion of this course you may wish to consider applying to one of the UHI degree programmes
Is there more information available online?
You can use the above QR code to connect directly to the course details.