What is special about this course?
The BA (Hons) Equine Business Management will introduce you to all aspects of today’s modern equine and sporting business. The course is highly practical and will equip you with the skills you need for a career in equine business management including, marketing, research and sports science, as well as specific equine modules such as current issues and legislation in the equine industry, equine behaviour and welfare management.
You will undertake project work where you will investigate real-life situations, which will enable you to put what you have learned into practice. You will also have the opportunity to take part in equestrian events and activities organised throughout the year.
- Small classes give you a more personal experience of university
- You will undertake equine-related classes and research projects in practical situations
- Access to our purpose-built equestrian centre, where you will be taught by staff highly experienced in the industry
- Opportunities to take part in equestrian events and activities throughout the year
- Opportunity in the third and fourth year to study remotely from your own location
We offer modern student accommodation at a number of our locations.
- Entry to year 1 (HNC) is an NC in Horse Care or Equestrian Studies
- Applicants with other academic and work experience are welcome; entry will be assessed on the basis of your accumulated previous experience
Advanced entry to year two of the degree:
- Direct entry to year 2 may be possible with the HNC Equine Studies
- Direct entry to year 3 may be possible with the HND Equine Studies; entry may also be possible with other HND qualifications such as a business-related HND with relevant equine industry experience
- It may be possible, with some additional bridging, to access with HNC Business or HND Business
Year 1 - HNC
Year 2 - HND
Year 3 - BA
Core modules may include:
- Research skills
- Current issues and legislation in the equine industry
- Work placement
- Developing entrepreneurial effectiveness
Option modules include:
- Design, manage and evaluate human fitness and physical performance
- Sport and exercise science: a critical analysis
- Marketing communications
- Niche tourism
- Employment law in the human resource context
- Small business planning
Year 4 - BA (Hons)
Modules may include:
- Equine behaviour and welfare management
- Major event analysis
- Work placement
- Business strategy
- Strategic marketing
- Innovation and enterprise
- Advanced methods for coaching and instruction
- Ethics and law in sport
You must also complete a dissertation or research and plan a new business venture
How will I study my course?
- You will learn through a combination of face-to-face and video conference lectures and tutorials, practical sessions at stables, and online study via the university's virtual learning environment (VLE), with support form your tutors
How long will my course last?
- Full-time: 4 years
- Part-time: 8 years
Where can I study my course?
- January (part-time only)
For students normally domiciled in Scotland or the European Union/EEA (outside of the UK) and with a term time address in Scotland, the following fees apply:
|Year 1||HNC||£1,285||£1,285||£86 (per HN credit)||£86 (per HN credit)|
|Year 2||HND||£1,285||£1,285||£86 (per HN credit)||£86 (per HN credit)|
|Year 3||Degree||£1,820||£1,820||£215 (per 20 credit module)||£215 (per 20 credit module)|
|Year 4||Honours||£1,820||£1,820||£215 (per 20 credit module)||£215 (per 20 credit module)|
*The Home-Scotland/EU fee rate is set by the Scottish Government and will be confirmed by March 2019.
Rest of UK students
For students normally domiciled in the rest of the UK (England, Wales and N. Ireland) and with a term-time address in Scotland studying this course full time, the following fees apply:
|Year 1||HNC||£6,510||£6,720||£448 (per HN credit)||£448 (per HN credit)|
|Year 2||HND||£6,510||£6,720||£448 (per HN credit)||£448 (per HN credit)|
|Year 3||Degree||£8,000||£9,000||£1,500 (per 20 credit module)||£1,500 (per 20 credit module)|
|Year 4||Honours||free**||free**||£1,500 (per 20 credit module)||£1,500 (per 20 credit module)|
**4th (Honours) year free only for students who have paid for previous 3 years at the University of the Highlands and Islands.
Fees are payable in advance each academic year unless otherwise agreed.
There are a number of funding options available to UK and EU students to help you pay for your studies and your cost of living whilst studying.
For students who do not normally reside in the UK or European Union and with a term-time address in Scotland, the following fees apply:
|Year 1||HNC||£6,510||£6,720||£448 (per HN credit)||£457 (per HN credit)|
|Year 2||HND||£6,510||£6,720||£448 (per HN credit)||£457 (per HN credit)|
|Year 3||Degree||£10,500||£11,100||£1,850 (per 20 credit module)||£1,940 (per 20 credit module)|
|Year 4||Honours||£10,500||£11,100||£1,850 (per 20 credit module)||£1,940 (per 20 credit module)|
***There is no part-time study option for Tier 4 sponsored international students.
Further information on international course fees.
A no fee increase guarantee is available for self-funding full-time and structured part-time RUK and International undergraduate students for continuous and contiguous study for the same award, up to the permitted standard time limit for the relevant award.
External scholarships and financial support may be available. Contact the relevant university partner college for more information.
What can I do on completion of my course?
A degree in Equine Business Management will provide you with excellent career prospects. This award enables you to develop knowledge and skills highly valued by employers. Graduates could anticipate going on to jobs in public, private and voluntary organisations, taking on such roles as:
- Yard manager
- Riding centre manager
- Equine tourism
- Equine research
- Equine assisted learning
- Equine rehabilitation
- Self employment
You will also have the potential to become a local entrepreneur, with business start-ups in the equine and tourism sectors.
Is there more information available online?
You can use the above QR code to connect directly to the course details.