Access to Construction and Engineering (ACE)
What is special about this course?
The Access to Construction and Engineering course will give you a range of opportunities to develop your skills in the Construction and Engineering Industries. It will also help build your confidence through working in teams with your fellow students.
This course has helped many students to gain employment and apprenticeships both locally and nationally.
Throughout this course you will be given the chance to enhance your core skills, improve your Maths knowledge and learn to work efficiently and effectively allowing you to become more attractive to employers.
- Prospective learners must demonstrate an interest in a career in construction or engineering
- Consideration will also be given to learners who have completed the Personal Empowerment Programme
- Satisfactory interview where you will be asked to complete a skills test, the results of this skills test will allow us to assess your suitability for a place on the course
- Learn how to use tools and equipment correctly and safely, relating to the brickwork and joinery disciplines
- Gain the knowledge to interpret drawings and specifications to manufacture brickwork, blockwork and bench joinery items
- Learn how to correctly produce and understand Risk Assessments, Method Statements and Cutting Lists which are essential skills for the workplace
- Undertake certified courses in First Aid and Manual Handling
- Complete Health and Safety in a Construction Environment training
- Learn how to be environmentally aware whilst undertaking practical tasks
- Gain essential skills to allow you to correctly measure and mark out materials
- You will also be given the opportunity to self-evaluate on practical units, record these and set goals for the next practical exercise
- Learn how to use tools and equipment correctly and safely in the Engineering environment
- Gain the knowledge to interpret drawings and specifications to manufacture in practical exercises
- Undertake training in MIG Welding and the correct use of the equipment
- Learn how to interpret Engineering Data and Documentation
- Make components using Hand Fitting Techniques
- Undertake certified courses in Abrasive Wheels and Hand and Power Tools
- Learn skills to enable you to wire electrical and electronic equipment correctly
- Complete basic training for the Mechanical discipline of Engineering
How will I study my course?
- Full Time
How long will my course last?
One Academic Years
Where can I study my course?
For the latest information on fees please see our fees policy.
What can I do on completion of my course?
- Progress onto our Employability Programme into Construction or NC Fabrication & Welding courses
- Enhanced career prospects as an apprentice in Construction or Engineering
Is there more information available online?
You can use the above QR code to connect directly to the course details.
Apply for Access to Construction and Engineering (ACE)
We are delighted that you are thinking about studying at North Highland College UHI. North Highland College operates a fair and open admissions system committed to equality of opportunity and non-discrimination. We consider all applications on merit and on the basis of ability to achieve, without discrimination on grounds of age, disability, gender identity, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity status, race, religion and/or belief, sex, sexual orientation or socio-economic background. We welcome applications from all prospective students and aim to provide appropriate and efficient services to students with disabilities.