Health and safety
Health and Safety and Fire Safety at UHI North Highland
At UHI North Highland our safety goal is: “Everyone home safe, every day”.
That is why EVERYONE at UHI North Highland needs to follow our Health & Safety (H&S) and Fire Safety policies. These policies can be accessed further down this page.
This webpage provides important information that all students and staff need must be aware of, including details of our H&S and Fire Safety policies that everyone has to comply with.
The College is committed to:
- Engaging positively with all students and staff about Safety matters
- Complying with all Safety laws and regulations and relevant standards as the minimum accepted behaviour
- Striving for an incident free work-place by doing all that is reasonably practicable to prevent injury and work-related ill health to all persons under the control of UHI North Highland
- Providing and maintaining a secure, safe and healthy working environment, and safe working equipment
- Identifying all hazards and risks associated with its activities, and then providing prioritised and proportionate controls to mitigate risks to as low as reasonably practicable
- Seeking continuous improvement of Safety management systems and performance, and regular review and updates of relevant policies and procedures
- Safe handling, storing and transportation of any substances associated with its activities
- Providing sufficient and competent information, instruction, training and supervision
- COVID-19 related Safety information
- In the event of a fire you must follow the Emergency Fire Action Plan. Staff should ensure visitors are advised on what to do and escorted accordingly
- Please note that a weekly fire alarm test will be carried out. These will normally take place on Tuesday mornings with the alarm sounding for a short period of time. There is no need to evacuate the building at this time.
- The College has trained First Aid contacts on site. Please contact the Reception staff if this is required. In more serious circumstances call 999 immediately.
- The mandatory speed limit in the college car parks in 10mph
- Toilets are located within each campus building
- Visitors are NOT permitted to use student changing rooms, for child protection reasons
- Smoking (including e-cigarettes) is not permitted inside any campus buildings or outside, within college grounds, except in the designated smoking shelters
- Food and drink should only be consumed in the canteen/designated social areas
Health and Safety and Fire Safety are everyone's responsibility. Everyone is responsible for:
- Complying with UHI North Highland's Safety policies and any Health and Safety procedures relating to the facilities which they are using
- Taking reasonable care for the health and safety of themselves and other persons who may be affected by their acts or omissions at work
- Promptly reporting all incidents (for example injuries, work-related ill health, dangerous occurrences and 'near-misses'), and any perceived hazards and shortcomings in H&S arrangements; and also decline to participate in activities they reasonably believe to be dangerous
- In addition to the general Safety requirements of the College, you may have to adhere to the requirements specific to your course eg personal protective clothing, hygiene, first aid and specialist equipment usage. Your Programme Leader will advise you of these requirements.
Furthermore, everyone at UHI North Highland must also note that the following actions and behaviours contravene not only the H&S Policy but also the Health and Safety at Work Act:
- Intentional or reckless misuse, tampering or interference with any firefighting equipment, fire prevention equipment, fire doors, fire detection equipment, fire alarm activation points, fire signs
- Intentional or reckless misuse of any equipment provided by UHI North Highland in the interests of health, safety or welfare in pursuance of the Health and Safety at Work Act or of any relevant statutory provisions relating to health and safety
- Failure to use appropriate Personal Protective Equipment
The detailed responsibilities of students and staff can be found in the UHI North Highland's Safety policies, below.